Colleague Comms Business Partner, M&S
Closing date: 9 April 2018
Salary: Competitive + Benefits
Business Area: Head Office
Area of Expertise: Corporate Communications
We have an exciting opening for an experienced communications professional to join an industry-leading and dynamic internal communications team responsible for driving group-wide colleague communications for M&S.
The successful candidate will have a diverse range of responsibilities – providing internal comms advice and support to key service areas in our business including our Marketing, Property and Finance teams. (S)he will also take on responsibility for ad hoc office or business-wide campaigns we run across our business.
Linked into Marketing, this will include encouraging colleagues to use customer insight to make better business decisions but also other activities e.g. running events to support the generation of ideas; supporting our recognition activities and so on.
Key accountabilities and measures
Within Marketing /Property / Finance Departments
- Devise and manage local area communications which help us tell the story of both the business’ wider transformation plans as well as local plans and priorities, so colleagues are clear of our direction and what we stand for
- Advise and manage area leadership teams on communication so that they are visible to their colleagues and inspire them to role model our M&S values
- Ensure consistency in how we communicate about our business-wide plans at local levels
- Specific deliverables will include developing comms plans; managing huddles; annual conferences; overseeing other channels e.g. local area portals, newsletters etc; support local area recognition schemes, making regular contributions to group-wide recognition; measuring local sentiment etc.
- Give colleagues from these areas a voice so we can continue to improve and shape our communications, feedback employee sentiment to the centre etc
Out to the rest of the business
- Tell stories about the part Marketing/Property/Finance are playing to support our business transformation e.g. how our Marketing campaigns are shining a light on our exceptional quality and value; how Property teams are helping reshape our UK store estate;
- Work with our customer insights team to educate colleagues across our business re the importance of getting close to customers, using customer insights to drive better decisions, sharing updates on customer sentiment etc
- Managing or supporting a range of other company-wide activity including driving awareness of and participation in Plan A (our leading eco/environmental/social programme); delivering activities and events to encourage the sharing of ideas within our business etc
- Play a part in regular part in employee comms team-wide updates, planning sessions, message discussions etc
• Local area employee surveys
• Programme specific surveys
• Your Say Survey – pulse and full year
• Informal feedback from stakeholders evaluation following other comms activity or events
- Experienced individual currently working inhouse
within corporate communications • Outstanding written and oral skills: experience of writing for a range of audiences and media/ channels; excellent editorial skills; presentation writing skills.
- Ability to translate complex business information into engaging comms using a range of different media and creative approaches
- Strong broad knowledge of our business, our plans, and the context in which we operate
- Strong, proven experience in Leadership and stakeholder relationship building, counsel & communications; change communications
- Stakeholder management
- Event management
- Project management
- Digital and visual communications
- Intranet writing
- Ability to create filmed messages
Key relationships and stakeholders
- Head of Colleague Comms
- All Colleague Comms team members
- Local areas Leadership teams
- Senior Leadership Group.