Director Internal Communications, Europe, Marriott
The Director Internal Communications, Europe is responsible for developing and delivering a consistent, measurable, strategic and creative internal communication and engagement plan for the continent.
The role will work closely with stakeholders across the continent and will define and manage the internal channel mix and its planning.
In addition the role is responsible for developing the messaging for members of the European senior leadership at the occasion of public speaking opportunities such as conferences and events. This position also supports continent growth and development messaging, manages internal crisis communication and supports Marriott’s overall company reputation in the continent.
The Director will be heavily involved in internal conferences and events and responsible for interfacing with and developing relationships across all disciplines. The role also includes direct line management and responsibility for the Senior Manager Corporate Social Responsibility.
The position will collaborate and be closely aligned with the Marriott Global Communications & Public Affairs department to ensure pull-through of corporate internal messaging into Europe.
This role is also responsible for developing internal channel messaging and will working closely with the Europe Integration team to define and deliver Change Management communications during 2018, following the acquisition of Starwood Hotels & Resorts in 2016.
Number of direct reports: 1
- The role will ensure consistency in voice and pull-through of key messaging into all internal channels.
- The position will lead internal communications initiatives in Europe and will determine a recommended internal channel strategy moving forward in the new organisation.
- This role will collaborate with key stakeholders across disciplines to ensure internal channels are active and relevant and provide creative thinking to optimise all internal channels and create updated content accordingly.
- Work with HR and other stakeholders to develop communication tools and content for associates to develop a culture based on a consistent two-way flow of information.
- In the event of a crisis or issue that impacts hotel and/or above property teams, work closely with External Communications and Operations colleagues to provide clear and effective communication to reassure and guide associates.
- The position will be a key player in the event management of internal conferences and will be responsible for leading event messaging, programming and organisational efforts together with a task force team.
- The position will be the point of contact for all internal communication needs in the continent, whether annual report input, conference and event messaging, Europe CEO communications, crisis communication, public affairs and innovation, liaising with the Corporate Communications teams and Global teams as appropriate to align with global strategies.
- This role will support owner communications to review content and ensure consistency with corporate messaging.
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
CANDIDATE PROFILE – KEY TALENTS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- 10+ years of senior level public relations, internal communications and/or corporate communications experience, within large-scale, international organisations.
- Proven experience of working in an organisation with a high profile reputation, often in the media spotlight coupled with experience working with senior executives.
- Experience and ability to manage the interests and demands of multiple stakeholders.
- European working experience.
- European language fluency welcomed.
- Change management experience is a major asset
Education or Certification
University degree or equivalent qualification in Public Relations / Communications / Marketing.
Skills and Competencies
The position will need to have an understanding of the hospitality industry.
- Proven experience in creating internal communications and building internal comms strategy.
- Strong skills in organising special events, speech writing and excellent proficiency in English language
- Ability to foster collaborative relationships with multi stakeholders and disciplines.
- Strategic and creative thinker with the ability to thrive in fast-paced environment.
- Ability to build confidence, influence, and promote ideas to diverse constituencies (i.e Continent teams, corporate headquarters staff, hotel management, agencies, etc.).
- Ability to make compelling presentations.
- Excellent written, verbal, and listening skills.
- Excellent skills in event planning and implementation.
- High energy and enthusiasm.
- Ability to successfully handle many diverse projects and constituencies simultaneously.
- Crisis communications experience.
- Ability to travel internationally.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws