Head of Internal Communications, STA Travel
Contract: Starts in November 2017, minimum nine months (maternity cover),
STA Travel is the world’s largest student travel company, sending two million customers on life-changing trips each year.
Our people are in 250+ stores and head offices worldwide, from Paris to Perth and everywhere between. Internal Communications plays a key role in connecting our people with each other and to our business direction.
Reporting to the Director of People and Culture, we’re looking for a communications professional who can deliver our group internal communications strategy for a maternity cover contract (minimum nine months, with the possibility of extension).
The successful candidate will need to roll their sleeves up in a constantly evolving environment to deliver measurable results. In return you’ll be rewarded with a stimulating role with huge scope to innovate, make decisions and drive the continued success of our iconic global brand.
What a day in the life might look like:
- You’ll assume responsibility over the global internal communications strategy, ensuring it drives excitement and engagement internally and where possible have a commercial aspect.
- You’ll draw on your full suite of internal communication skills, from change management and employee engagement to channel development, end-to-end campaign communications and content creation.
- You’ll drive the launch plan and adoption of our new digital workplace, be an ambassador for digital engagement and facilitate collaboration and two-way communication through Office 365 tools like Yammer, Groups and Teams.
- You’ll manage the editorial calendar, helping to prioritise and coordinate communications across the new global digital workplace and other channels.
- You’ll collect, write and edit staff communications and news stories.
- You’ll build and maintain great relationships with group departments and other key stakeholders from across the organisation, and have your finger on the pulse about everything going on at STA Travel.
- You’ll work closely with divisional Internal Communications Executives to ensure effective two-way flow of information and sharing of resources.
- You’ll support the global internal implementation of our fundraising partnership and work with charity partners.
- You’ll help coordinate events such as our annual awards night and senior leadership conference.
To succeed in this role, you’ll need:
- Experience working with a digital workplace (intranet) or social enterprise network
- A creative flair and superb writing and editing skills
- Bright ideas and effective implementation
- Expert project management and organisation skills, with a hawk eye for detail and ability to multitask to tight deadlines
- An ability to work independently and take on any challenge throw your way
- An understanding of audience segmentation and tools and tactics to engage with each audience
- An ability to negotiate and influence stakeholders, including C-Suite Executives and senior leaders
- To be approachable, flexible and energetic, with a keen passion for communications
- An external perspective on leading edge internal communications initiatives and trends
We’re also highly attracted to someone who has:
A qualification/experience in internal communications, media, journalism or a similar field
Five years’ experience in a communications role
Experience using a range of communications channels, including email marketing tools, webinars and social enterprise networks
Experience with Photoshop/video editing
Travel industry experience
If you don’t meet the points above, we’d still love to hear from you!
This position may require some local and international travel
Closing date: Tuesday 19 September 2017.