Website Energy UK
Press Office Assistant, Energy UK
A competitive salary will be offered plus benefits (London Living Wage Employer)
Full time – 35.25 hours a week
Energy UK is looking for a Press Office Assistant to join the communications team in its London
Energy UK, the voice of the energy, industry represents over 100 suppliers and generators of electricity and gas for domestic and business consumers.
We have a membership as diverse as the energy industry itself, ranging from the UK’s largest energy firms to new, growing suppliers and generators. Now is an exciting time for the energy sector with rapid change in the industry and with energy remaining high on the political and media agenda.
We are looking for an enthusiastic Press Office Assistant to help us deliver high quality media coverage across a variety of channels.
The post holder will be responsible for delivering our communications via traditional and digital media channels. This will involve drafting statements and press releases, effectively handling media enquiries, creating and publicising our proactive stories and campaigns, monitoring and responding to the news agenda, devising exciting and engaging social media content, as well as supporting the wider work of the communications team as required.
You will have good written communication and digital skills, organisational ability, knowledge of the media landscape, previous press office experience and good attention to detail.
The job involves working collaboratively with policy and other colleagues, the media and our membership. The post holder will also be required to participate in an out of hours press office rota.
- The post holder will take a leading role in the day to day functions of the press team Monitoring of the news agenda including Press Association news wire and other outlets
- Assisting with media enquiries from national, regional, specialist, broadcast and trade media
- Drafting, clearing and issuing statements and press releases under the guidance of the Chief Press Officer
- Monitoring social media channels and creating content to ensure they remain up-to-date
- Populating the strategic activity grid in liaison with the Chief Press Officer to assist with forward planning
- Administrative support for the Communications and Public Affairs team including liaison with suppliers on contracts, subscriptions, clips and cuttings as well as ensuring up to date and efficient record keeping.
- Contributing to the production of member briefings, updates and newsletters, and supporting the key
- Communications and Public Affairs Committees including on minutes, agendas and papers
- Maintaining contact and good working relationships with journalists, and other key external and internal stakeholders
- General support for Energy UK including administrative tasks as required.
The role would suit a professional and highly motivated individual. They need to be persuasive, resilient and able to cope with pressure well.
- Excellent writing and drafting skills
- Understanding of the media landscape
- Good, clear telephone manner
- Ability to work to tight media deadlines
- Minimum of one year’s experience working in a press office
- Experience of managing social media accounts for an organisation including creating, editing and posting in different formats.
- Organisational and administrative skills and ability to manage a range of activities simultaneously.
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment, as well as independently
- Ability to work in a high profile and often high pressured environment.
Applicants should apply with their CV and covering note to Nicola Rowland – Nicola.firstname.lastname@example.org.