What do you need to consider when communicating change?
What should you do in the first 90 days of a new IC role?
How can you work well with senior leaders and frontline workers?
What decisions do you need to think through to become a Comms Consultant?
These questions and many more are asked daily by internal communication professionals. We can tell from the search terms you use to reach the All Things IC blog, you’re looking for advice on these topics.
Over the past 12 years we’ve published 1500 free blog posts to point you in the right direction.
However, you cannot beat investing time in your professional development through training. Reading blog posts and listening to my Candid Comms Podcast will help you find a quick answer to the problem you’re trying to solve, but training courses delve deeper.
We address all the queries above through our courses.
In this article, we’ll look at the different options that are available for you to choose from including Online Masterclasses, bespoke training and Monthly Masterclasses, and we’ve answered your questions.
Face-to-face Masterclasses are back
Today we’re announcing the relaunch of our in-person Monthly Masterclasses at the All Things IC Hub in London. This is our dedicated training space, with two rooms designed to provide a confidential and nurturing environment for IC professionals.
The Hub opened in January 2020, and has been on pause since March 2020 due to the pandemic.
We keep the groups small and this is an opportunity to increase your internal communication knowledge – and your network too.
Fresh 2021 dates are in the diary for you to choose from:
- 13 October: Change Communication – learn Comms theory, get practical advice and help from peers.
- 10 November: Comms Director Mastermind – for senior-level Directors or Heads of IC. Only four places available.
- 17 November: Effective Internal Communication – how to start out in internal communication, ideal if you have up to three years’ experience.
- 8 December: Strategic Internal Communication – builds on your IC experience and includes Comms theory and how to work strategically.
We’ve frozen our prices until the end of the year, so a place on an All Things IC Monthly Masterclass remains at £599 +VAT per person.
Which course is right for me?
Are you trying to decide which course to take, and whether to learn online or face-to-face?
Let us guide you through it.
Q: Are the Monthly Masterclasses the same as the Online Masterclasses?
A: Yes, we are starting to introduce topics to provide both options for internal communicators. See the table below for more information.
Note: Our Change Comms and Momentum Online Masterclasses aren’t available yet.
Q: Should I learn online or in-person?
A: Comms Consultant Debbie West is our resident Learning & Development expert. She has a strong L&D background and qualifications, plus in-house IC experience.
Debbie says: “It’s great news that Rachel is finally able to offer a choice in the way her learners can access her Masterclasses.
“For some people, face-to-face or classroom learning is their preference. They may like the discipline of setting aside one specific time or day for their learning. Lots of people who attend in-person learning events find they pick up a lot from their fellow attendees, as they share their responses to the Masterclass material throughout the event. This can be a real help for them as they synthesise the new information and it’s a great way to network.
“Taking time out to travel and attend an event doesn’t suit everyone, however. The Online Masterclasses offer a fantastic alternative for people who prefer to learn in small, bite-size chunks of time, alongside their other commitments.
“The content of the Online Masterclasses is the same as the content covered in the in-person versions. An added benefit is that the online learning is structured to encourage time for reflection, self assessment and experimentation.
“In terms of the effectiveness of learning, your ability to recall and apply the new skills and knowledge you acquire from either method – in-person or online – is down to what you do with the learning yourself. If you take time to practice your new skills or apply your new knowledge, you’ll find out how it really works. That’s when the learning comes to life for each learner.”
Thank you Debbie. Investing in my own professional development has been a crucial part of my internal communication career. Being open to new ideas, fresh thinking and deepening my knowledge is vital. I believe what happens inside is reflected outside. Continuously learning allows me to serve All Things IC’s clients and Comms friends in the right way.
Q: Is a face-to-face course right for me?
A: Yes if you:
- want to learn about communication theory
- are open to offer your opinions as part of the discussions
- would like a confidential environment to learn in – we keep our conversations within the room
- would like to ask Rachel and your peers for their opinions
- want to increase your network of other in-house IC professionals
- prefer to learn in an immersive way over the course of a day
- want to learn quickly and leave with a notebook full of ideas
- you are an in-house internal communicator
- are open to the idea of learning new things and building on your existing knowledge.
- you work in an agency. This is a strictly no-pitching zone. We can run bespoke courses for you
- you want to learn immediately. An Online Masterclass will suit you as you can enrol today.
You’ll be in a room of peers and spend the day together. We’ve frozen our prices until the end of the year, so a place on an All Things IC Monthly Masterclass remains at £599 +VAT per person. See our Terms and Conditions for full information.
Q: Is an Online Masterclass right for me?
A: Yes if you:
- prefer to learn at your own pace, over an extended period (up to 12 months)
- can’t wait for a course date and need to learn immediately
- want to keep referring back to the content
- want to learn as a team – you can ask us to create a tailored course for you e.g. we can set specific assignment questions for you. Contact us with any queries.
No if you :
- prefer to work face-to-face
- want to meet with peers to share conundrums and help each other.
Q: Can I earn CPD points?
A: Yes, if you are a CIPR or IoIC member you can earn CPD points or hours from attending an All Things IC Masterclass in-person or studying online.
We issue certificates at the end of all Masterclasses, to prove attendance.
I hope you’ve found this article useful to help you make the right decision for you and your team.
Do get in touch with any queries.
Thank you for stopping by
Post author: Rachel Miller
First published on the All Things IC blog 2 September 2021.