What’s the impact of digital on internal communication? Today I’m delighted to share a podcast with you I recorded last week.
Paul Sutton invited me to be a guest on his Digital Download show to discuss the topic and we covered so much! From the rise of enterprise social networks, to company culture and employee experience, we looked at what is impacting internal communication today.
Paul is an independent digital marketing and social media consultant who specialises in offering strategic consultancy, creative campaign advice and best practice training to agencies and in-house communications teams.
You can find him on Twitter @thepaulsutton and I recommend checking out his work. I went to his Digital Download event last year and thoroughly enjoyed it.
He says: “Internal communication is an area of public relations that often gets missed when digital technology is discussed, largely because the likes of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are all external-facing. But innovation in IC is arguably greater than outward-facing communications channels, with the likes of Office 365, Facebook Workplace, Yammer and Slack providing internal communicators with a plethora of platforms to choose from.
“In this episode of the Digital Download podcast, I talk to Rachel Miller, founder of All Things IC, about how digital technology is impacting internal communications strategy, the opportunities digital tools provide and the challenges they present.”
Here’s what you’ll learn in this episode:
- How internal communications has evolved in the last five years
- How shadow comms has risen to fill the gaps where organisations have failed to adopt digital
- What the impact of GDPR is on internal communications
- How digital can bridge the gap between external perceptions and the reality of internal culture
- Why giving employees a voice is so valuable to an organisation
- Why Office 365 is having such a big impact on effective internal communication
- Why a great intranet is central to a great internal communications strategy
- What the role of content is in internal digital communications.
You can listen to our conversation online and below:
Links from today’s show
- The Big Yak 2018 unconference
- The Gatehouse State of the Sector census
- How Bristol Water is Preparing for GDPR from All Things IC
- How the Post Office Encourages Leadership Comms from All Things IC
- #lifeatloreal hashtag on Twitter.
What do you think of what you’ve heard? As ever, you’re welcome to comment below or you can Tweet me @Allthingsic.
Thank you for inviting me Paul, I enjoyed our conversation.
Post author: Rachel Miller
First published on the All Things IC blog 28 February 2018.
Learn more about internal communication
If you’d like to learn more about internal communication, come and join me at one of my monthly Masterclasses here in London. See my Masterclasses website to find out more and save your place.
Your investment is £599 +VAT and CIPR and IoIC members can earn CPD and save 20% off my courses. See the website for full information.
You can also book me for a half-day or whole day desk review, where I can analyse your IC strategy and give you my feedback and suggested input. I’m currently taking bookings for October 2018 onwards.