Creative Diversity Partner, BBC
Location: New Broadcasting House, London
Job category: HR and Internal Communications
Closing date: 11 July 2020.
At the BBC, we want Diversity and Inclusion to be a natural part of what we do, embedded in our culture, and in our commissioning and creative processes. We have made great progress, but there is more to do.
To support this aim, we have created a new Creative Diversity team; with the remit of focusing on initiatives related to on-air talent portrayal, commissioning, monitoring and reporting to further strengthen a culture at the BBC of Diversity and Inclusion. The team reports to the Group Managing Director, whilst also working closely alongside the Workforce Diversity & Inclusion team within HR. As a Partner, you will be reporting into the Head of Creative Diversity, whilst also working closely with the Director of Content.
The Creative Diversity Partner will support the wider Creative Diversity Team in delivering the overall on air diversity and inclusion strategies, with an alignment to our BBC Content division. BBC Content brings world-class creativity to our screens through some of the BBC’s biggest brands. We are made up of a number of departments, including some of the best creative Commissioning and Business Operations teams in the world from entertainment, comedy, drama, factual, daytime and sport.
This is an exciting opportunity to champion diversity in the creative community and to work with key industry stakeholders to deliver the BBC’s on-screen diversity ambitions.
- You will effectively project manage specific projects relating to our diversity and inclusion strategy. You can read more about our future plans here
- You will work closely with the senior leadership team for BBC Content; ensuring critical milestones relating to projects are achieved.
- You will need to proactively initiate, maintain and develop relationships with high profile external organisations on behalf of the BBC. This may involve contractual, editorial, strategic and PR matters.
- You will have responsibility for piloting diversity initiatives and measuring success to determine any amendments that need to be made prior to launch.
- A key part of the role will involve working with our industry partners to support the delivery of DIAMOND, an industry-wide monitoring database system which will measure the diversity profile of the workforce on UK productions, on and off air.
- You will work in conjunction with the relevant in house teams delivering KPIs and insights on progress against diversity targets and performance metrics to contribute to data and provide relevant metrics for specific projects e.g. 50:50. You must be adept at producing impactful and insightful reporting at all levels.
- You will represent BBC Creative Diversity internally and externally (as appropriate)
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience as a senior programme maker, bringing with you a deep understanding and experience of diversity & inclusion issues within the creative community, and the importance of the role of diversity & inclusion in achieving creative success.
- Extensive knowledge of TV production, including established connections with the Indie sector.
- Well networked within the broadcasting industry, with a comprehensive understanding of public broadcasting requirements, you’ll be a strong influencer who can communicate your strategic vision with energy and enthusiasm.
- A proven track record in successfully shaping and delivering diversity strategies for the creative industries.
- Demonstrable record of successful project delivery (including budgeting, planning, quality management, problem solving, reporting, managing risk).
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the UK’s diverse creative talent and communities.
- Appreciation of OfCom regulations and Equality Act legislation and able to translate this into tangible advice for the business.
- You understand the value drivers of the BBC and is commercially aware.
- You have a demonstrable understanding of and a passion for BBC output
- You will be passionate and committed to making a difference and able to work at a strategic level, able to engage senior leaders in the delivery against BBC diversity targets and engender a passion for diversity in these leaders.
- You will have excellent communication skills to support relationship building both inside and outside of the BBC at a senior level, and you’ll look for opportunities to forge partnerships at a variety of levels. A confident public speaker, you will also have good collaboration skills, allowing you to work effectively across a range of teams and adaptable in managing change.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you.
Contract type: Permanent, Full time
Location: London, New Broadcasting House
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits– We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual’s unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here