Deputy Head of Strategic Communications, Department for Communities and Local Government
Salary: £59,736 – £70,375
Closing date: 22 Oct 2017
DCLG communications deals with some of the most high-profile policy issues across government from making sure we build more homes to funding local government, and from tackling homelessness to giving more power to local people to shape what happens in their area. DCLG have also been leading the cross-government response to the Grenfell Tower fire.
This is a rich and rewarding role which provides the opportunity to work with a diverse range of people including ministers, journalists, policy officials and communications colleagues from across Whitehall
• Lead a team of twelve to deliver an integrated external affairs strategy that supports the department’s priorities and objectives.
• Set the overall strategic direction for the external stakeholder engagement, campaigns and marketing and digital teams, reflecting the department’s priorities and GCS Government Communications Plan.
• Act as strategic lead for building and maintain relationships with key external stakeholders; advising ministers and senior officials on engagement opportunities and key issues, and providing advice on stakeholder management to ministers, special advisors, the Executive team; and with other government departments and No.10.
• Overseeing high-profile marketing activity like our award-winning Own Your Home campaign, leading the production of a variety of materials and content, and their distribution through a range of available channels including owned, paid for and partnership
• Increase insight into the communication needs and preferences of different audiences, including carrying out user research.
• Build on our evaluation model and ensure all communications plans have clear objectives and impact, and that delivery is actively and accurately tracked, and effective measurement is in place so outcomes are achieved.
• Set standards as a senior communications manager, providing direction and strategic leadership.
• Strong experience in a strategic communications role, which includes planning communications through to delivery, demonstrating ideas and creativity.
• Strong leadership skills, including demonstrable past experience of successfully leading teams.
• Experience of developing and delivering high impact low and no-cost communications using multiple channels, including digital.
• Good analytical skills and knowledge of how to use data to effectively track communications effectiveness and shape future approaches. A solid grasp of using communication evaluation techniques and methods.
• Experience of developing and using audience insight to drive messaging and channel choices.
• Strong influencing and negotiation skills in working with senior leaders to understand departmental requirements and develop trusted and authoritative two way relationships
• Strong personal impact and confidence in verbal briefing with a strong customer service ethos.
• Good planning, project management and organisational skills.
• Strong political judgement and creative thinking – able to provide advice and manage risks and reputational issues.
• Flexibility in responding to a changing business environment.
Successful candidates for roles based in our 2 Marsham Street building must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is counter-terrorist check and the process can take up to 8 weeks to complete.
You are therefore required to complete the attached Annex A form (PART A ONLY) and either email the signed version directly to email@example.com. Alternatively, you can post the completed form to DCLG HR, Ground Floor, Rosebrae Court, Woodside Ferry Approach, Birkenhead, CH41 6DU. This will be processed in cases only where the candidate should be successful in applying for the post. The remainder will be securely destroyed.
Please note that successful candidates will need to pass the CTC security checks – this requires you to have been resident in the UK for the past 3 years. Please refer to the attached document “DCLG Notes on Security Clearance” for further information on Counter Terrorism Clearance (CTC). Thank you.
Contact point for applicants
Katherine MacLeod: Katherine.firstname.lastname@example.org. 0303 444 2144
Sift/interview dates and location: To Be Confirmed
The salary scale minimum is applicable for new entrants to the civil service. Only in exceptional circumstances will a starting salary higher than the minimum be considered. The specified salary range is applicable for existing civil servants joining us on level transfer/promotion. Please see the attached terms and conditions statement for further information.