Senior Internal Communications Manager, Department for Communities and Local Government
Location: Westminster, London
Salary: £37,272 – £43,407
Closing date:10 September 2017
Grade: Senior Executive Officer PB5.6
DCLG is helping to create great places to live and work, giving more power to local people to shape what happens in their area.
We are looking for a talented, motivated, collaborative and creative communications professional to join our Internal Communications team.
The post holder will be responsible for delivering a wide range of internal communications activity but will have a particular focus on DCLG’s corporate communications. This will include leading on people, technology, facilities and estate related communication campaigns.
Expert copy writing, strategic communications, relationship building and organisational skills are required for this role. The post holder needs to be able to work well under pressure when delivering high profile communications and engagement activities such as senior leader events. Experience using the WordPress web platform is also desirable.
• Experience in developing and delivering effective communications strategies and plans.
• Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• Expert written and verbal communications skills.
• Comfortable dealing with senior stakeholders, effective at negotiating and influencing at a senior level.
• Experience managing intranets, events (including logistics) and other communication activities.
• Good at listening and understanding stakeholder needs.
• Ability to work under pressure, manage competing priorities and changing deadlines.
• Good knowledge of the communications landscape, and the role of digital communication in internal communication.
• Self-motivated and able to seek out new opportunities.
• Willing to help out and support other team members.
• Excellent planning, organisational and time management skills.
• Play a key role in ensuring the internal communications team is effective and innovative.
• Support development of DCLG’s internal communications and engagement strategy.
• Provide guidance to senior leaders (including DCLG’s Executive Team), and internal stakeholders, on the manner in which messages and key themes are communicated to ensure consistency, clarity and impact.
• Develop and implement creative communication campaigns to support key business / strategic objectives.
• Ensure key messages and activities are relevant at a departmental and individual level.
• Set clear objectives and evaluation criteria for communications and engagement activity.
• Effectively use various communication channels as appropriate means for communicating with staff.
• Evaluate the effectiveness of communication processes and deliver ongoing improvement.
• Work collaboratively to build effective relationships with key stakeholders in the department.
• Work collaboratively with the external communications, and change and engagement, teams to ensure consistent and joined up internal and external communications on key themes.
Successful candidates for roles based in our 2 Marsham Street building must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is counter-terrorist check and the process can take up to 8 weeks to complete.
You are therefore required to complete the attached Annex A form (PART A ONLY) and either email the signed version directly to email@example.com. Alternatively, you can post the completed form to DCLG HR, Ground Floor, Rosebrae Court, Woodside Ferry Approach, Birkenhead, CH41 6DU. This will be processed in cases only where the candidate should be successful in applying for the post. The remainder will be securely destroyed.
Please note that successful candidates will need to pass the CTC security checks – this requires you to have been resident in the UK for the past 3 years. Please refer to the attached document “DCLG Notes on Security Clearance” for further information on Counter Terrorism Clearance (CTC). Thank you.
We’ll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
Leading and communicating
Collaborating and partnering
Managing a quality service
Communications – Insight: Core
Communications – Implementation: Core
Communications – Impact: Core
Contact point for applicants
Sift/interview dates and location
Interviews w/c 18 Sept (2 Marsham St, London, SW1P 4DF)
Candidates may be invited to interview early.
A writing test will be required as part of the interview process.