Accessible communication isn’t just a nice to have, it is essential inside organisations.
Regular readers of my blog or Candid Comms podcast listeners will know my personal story when it comes to accessibility. I’ve shared my lived experience of being a professional communicator with hearing loss, and how this impacts my daily life.
I was recently invited to be guest on the Chartered Institute of Public Relations’ (CIPR) quarterly ‘Engage’ podcast.
The episode has just been published. It explores accessible communications and the role public relations professionals have to make sure client and employer communications are accessible and inclusive.
CIPR state: “With 15% of the world’s population facing some form of disability and the World Health Organisation (WHO) estimating that two billion people across the globe will require assistive communication, memory, or a hearing aid in the next 10 years, this episode looks at the importance of embedding accessible practices in the workplace and practical advice in how to do that.”
Joining host, Zach Cutler CEO of Propel, to share their thoughts and experiences are guests;
- Sarah Brown-Fraser, marketing and communications manager at Activity Alliance
- Rachel Miller, founder of All Things IC
- Jarrod Williams, communications manager at Bromford.
Sara-Anne Mills-Bricknell, Chair CIPR Podcast Editorial Board says: “The figures from the World Health Organisation highlight just how important an issue accessibility is and the challenge it presents to our profession. If this isn’t already an active discussion in your organisation or with your clients, it needs to be. As our guests discuss, this is as much about improving the workplace as it is a commercial consideration.
“Thank you to all the guests for this fascinating discussion and for sharing their experiences. I hope it encourages more of our listeners to take action by checking out the useful resources mentioned in the episode to develop their knowledge and understanding on this topic.”
You can find the episode via your favourite podcast player, online, or listen below.
Download full transcript (pdf)
For more information:
- Listen to and download previous episodes of the Engage podcast
- Watch the CIPR’s accessible digital communications webinar
- Join the Accessible Social Facebook group
- Upskill yourself or your teams with Communication Access UK training
- View the Government Communications Service accessibility guidance on planning, creating and publishing accessible social media campaigns
- Each podcast is worth 5 CPD points, so if you’re a CIPR member, don’t forget to log it.
Further reading via the All Things IC blog:
- What IC pros need to know about accessibility – Candid Comms podcast episode
- PRCA publishes new accessible guidelines – from 2021
- Behind the scenes of the Candid Comms podcast – featuring Debbie West and I in conversation
- Free training to help you learn about inclusive communication-published 2022
- Communication Access UK website.
Thank you for stopping by,
Post author: Rachel Miller.
First published on the All Things IC blog 12 April 2022.