This week’s Candid Comms podcast features Keith Riley, Communications Executive at law firm DWF, and I talking about all things diversity and inclusion related.
As we recorded this episode, we both built the new Everyone Is Awesome LEGO kit, 40516, which celebrates positivity and kindness in families, communities and the world.
This week’s show covers:
- Working with LGBTQ+ employees to amplify their views and voices
- What internal communicators need to be mindful of when thinking about diversity and inclusion
- Why do pronouns matter?
- Our love of LEGO
- Why Keith wore make-up at work recently
- Why belonging and inclusion go together
and much more.
Do let me know what you think of this episode and don’t forget to rate, review and follow, so other Comms pros can benefit too.
We also gave a a shout out to my brilliant season one guest Amrit Nijjar.
Thank you for such an open and far-reaching interview, and to my Producer Debbie West for contending with all our LEGO noise! Apologies this episode is noisier than usual! It truly is a candid conversation and I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed creating it.
What is the podcast?
The Candid Comms podcast launched in January 2021. It is a weekly show designed to connect internal communication professionals to the advice and guidance, to help you thrive in your role.
Resources mentioned in this episode
- LEGO Everyone is Awesome kit – available from LEGO or Amazon
- Twitter: @HarrietSmallies
- William Kahn’s work on psychological safety. (See this paper from 1990: Psychological conditions of personal engagement and disengagement at work).
- Find Keith on Twitter @ItsKeithRiley
Further reading via the All Things IC blog
- How to create a sense of belonging
- A candid conversation with Amrit Nijjar
- How ASDA is building an inclusive culture – published 2016
- How to understand and improve diversity
- How to improve ethic diversity in PR
- How to create a sense of belonging for hybrid workers
Catch up with any episodes you may have missed.
- Episode three: How to create a sense of belonging
- Episode two: How to find an Internal Comms job
- Episode one: How to be a strategic internal communicator
- Episode 16: Behind the scenes of the Candid Comms podcast
- Episode 15: Being Candid with Frank Dias
- Episode 14: How to communicate your company’s values
- Episode 13: How to communicate hybrid working
- Episode 12: How to start out in internal communication
- Episode 11: How to prove the value of internal communication
- Episode 10: Being Candid with Amrit Nijjar
- Episode nine: How to communicate change
- Episode eight: How to plan your IC channels
- Episode seven: How to help line managers communicate
- Episode six: How to measure internal communication
- Episode five: Being Candid with Matt Batten
- Episode four: How to work well with HR
- Episode three: Working successfully with leaders
- Episode two: Transforming your internal comms
- Episode one: Introducing the Candid Comms podcast.
Post author: Rachel Miller.
Published on the All Things IC blog 27 June 2021.