What does it mean to be a strategic internal communicator?
What does it look like? How can you work in a strategic way?
This topic kicks off season two of my Candid Comms podcast.
The episode has just been published and covers:
- What working strategically means
- How to know if you’re working in a strategic way
- Skills map from the Institute of Internal Communication
- Thoughts on being a trusted adviser
- Job titles.
Thank you to my Producer, Debbie West of Seren Creative.
Further reading: Eight professional communication trends.
What is the podcast?
The Candid Comms podcast launched in January 2021. It is a weekly show designed to connect internal communication professionals to the latest advice and guidance, to help you thrive in your role.
- Episode 16: Behind the scenes of the Candid Comms podcast
- Episode 15: Being Candid with Frank Dias
- Episode 14: How to communicate your company’s values
- Episode 13: How to communicate hybrid working
- Episode 12: How to start out in internal communication
- Episode 11: How to prove the value of internal communication
- Episode ten: Being Candid with Amrit Nijjar
- Episode nine: How to communicate change
- Episode eight: How to plan your IC channels
- Episode seven: How to help line managers communicate
- Episode six: How to measure internal communication
- Episode five: Being Candid with Matt Batten
- Episode four: How to work well with HR
- Episode three: How to work successfully with leaders
- Episode two: How to transform your internal comms
- Episode one: Introducing the Candid Comms podcast.
Here are the resources mentioned in this week’s episode:
- These are the skills you need to be an internal communicator – IoIC profession map
- Job titles blog post: Meaningless labels, by Martin Flegg.
- Bill Quirke’s book: Making the Connections,
A brilliant new blog post has just been published by an internal communicator here in the UK Martin Flegg.
Further reading: Meaningless labels, by Martin Flegg.
Online Masterclasses to choose from:
- An internal communicator’s guide to hybrid working – this is for you if you’re working on your company’s plans
- How to be an internal communicator – ideal if you’re new to the world of IC or have up to three years’ experience.
- How to be a Comms Consultant – Exploration – this is for you if you’re thinking about going freelance.
- Introduction to internal communication channels – get up to speed quickly.
- How to create a 90 day plan – to set you up for success in your new Internal Comms role.
See you again soon.
Post author: Rachel Miller.
First published on the All Things IC blog 6 June 2021.