What do you need to know about channels when starting out in the world of internal communication?
The latest episode of my Candid Comms podcast has just been published. I’ve revealed what you need to know, do and think about if you’ve just begun your IC career, or want to advise new Comms pros.
I’ve focused on IC channels and will be publishing future episodes about starting out in the world of internal communication.
Expect practical ideas and inspirational advice to help internal communicators thrive in their role.
This week’s episode covers:
- How to plan your channels
- How to complete a channels matrix
- Looking at ‘noise’ inside organisations
- How to make decisions about your channels
- The rise of Comms Bling
- Why you need a glossary
- A brilliant resource to help you.
The full set of show notes from this season are on my blog and on the podcast page.
Resources from this episode
- How to be an internal communicator Online Masterclass – use the code candidcomms to save 10%
- An introduction to IC channels Online Masterclass – use the code candidcomms to save 10%
- Channels Matrix – below. Note – “all employees” is rarely good enough. Think carefully about the intended audience.
- Article: Are you being dazzled by Comms Bling? – published in 2013
- My glossary of internal communication
- IoIC profession map.
What is the podcast?
The Candid Comms podcast is a weekly show designed to connect internal communication professionals to the latest advice and guidance.
- Episode seven: How to help line managers communicate
- Episode six: How to measure internal communication
- Episode five: Being Candid with Matt Batten
- Episode four: How to work well with HR
- Episode three: How to work successfully with leaders
- Episode two: How to transform your internal comms
- Episode one: Introducing the Candid Comms podcast.
Thank you to my Producer Debbie West of Seren Creative. You can listen to Candid Comms below or online.
Thank you to everyone who has tuned in to the series so far. It’s been heard by people in the UK, US, Australia, Sweden, Argentina, India, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg and Brazil already. This week it hit the 3000 downloads mark and reached number 13 in the Management charts on Apple Podcasts.
If you’re enjoying the show, please do rate, review and follow it, so other Comms pros can benefit too.
I love reading your feedback, thank you for all your comments and posts on social media. Discovering how you’re using my advice to solve problems in your role is wonderful. Do let me know what resonates with you. You can find me on Twitter @AllThingsIC, Instagram @rachelallthingsic or look me up on LinkedIn.
Thank you for stopping by
Post author: Rachel Miller.
First published on the All Things IC blog 14 March 2021.