Discover what Katy Gibbins, Head of Internal Communications and Engagement, Department for Culture Media and Sport couldn’t do her job without, plus her top piece of comms advice.
She’s in the hot seat today as the latest professional communicator to answer A question of comms.
Thank you Katy. Want to be featured? If you’re an in-house comms pro or freelancer, do get in touch and I’ll send you the questions.
I’ll hand you over to Katy…
1. When did you know internal communication was what you wanted to do?
When I took voluntary redundancy from internal and external role, I wanted a more specific remit and specialisation to focus on.
2. What do you like most about working in this field?
The immediate and measurable impact on individuals and the organisation.
3. What’s the best career advice you’ve been given?
Don’t try to change everything at once.
4. What advice would you give someone thinking about starting a career in comms?
Get as much experience in all the different disciplines to see what you like best.
5. What does a typical day or working week look like for you?
8am-4.30pm Monday to Friday in Whitehall, and then home to collect my boys, before a bit more work some days.
6. Name a book you think every communicator should read, and why you’ve chosen it
I don’t go in much for professional reading in book form, but enjoy blogs and the ‘melting pot’ that is Twitter.
7. What’s the one thing you couldn’t do your job without?
To do lists!
8. What is the future of internal communication?
Digital but personal.
9. Where can people find you online?
Via my website katygibbins.com.
Thank you Katy. You can also find her on Twitter @KatyGibbins1.
See who has sat in the hot seat so far…
- A question of comms: Rachel Miller, Director, All Things IC.
- A question of comms: Lou Robinson, Global Internal Comms Lead, Costa.
- A question of comms: Sara Luker, EMEA Content Manager, eBay.
- A question of comms: Gary Vyse, PR & Engagement Lead at Alternative Futures Group.
Thank you to everyone who has completed the answers already, am looking forward to sharing them with you.
Thanks for stopping by,
P.s. Sign up to learn about internal communication – 2017 dates are now live on the All Things IC Masterclasses website.