Thinking of starting your own business, going freelance or are an aspiring entrepreneur? If so and you’re looking for advice, I’ve heard about an event which could be your ideal starting point.
Friday 5 June 2015 is the launch of The Smart Upstart Club at The Institute of Directors in London – and you’re invited.
It is being staged by engagement advisor John Smythe of Engage for Change, prompted by the fact his 22-year-old daughter Rosie was unable to find resources on or offline about taking the leap to launching her own enterprise.
John @engage4change, told me: “This event is for people who want some smart tips from those who have done it. The late afternoon workshop will provide relevant, realistic and honest advice to Gen Y and above on starting their own business, with up to 15 entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs presenting brief TED-style two-minute slots followed by conversations in the crowd to hone questions and the opportunity to quiz the panel.”
The Institute of Directors has generously provided the space for the event, and as a social enterprise, tickets are just £10. This includes refreshments, plus there’s a cash bar available. See more information and purchase your ticket/s here.
- Ben Hart, strategist and thought leader who founded business transformation agency Atmosphere in 2012.
- Jacqueline Biggs, business strategist, international best-selling author of Marketing to Win and co-founder of Brand Camp; an exclusive camp designed to help brands think differently via creative sessions.
- Amali de Alwis, CEO of Code First Girls – an organisation encouraging women in to tech careers via courses, events and hackathons.
- Phoebe Lebrecht, young female entrepreneur who founded her own agency Glass Digital Media straight out of University.
- Vicky Willden-Lebrecht, MD and founder of Bright, the global illustration and literary agency.
- Marc Wright, founder of Simply Communicate, the community for internal communications professionals.
- Dave Wallace, founder of digital agency Heath Wallace with offices in the UK, Asia, the USA, South Africa and Australia
- Maria Kempinska, award-winning businesswoman and founder of the Jongleurs Comedy Clubs
What you need to know: The Smart Upstart Club is launching on Friday 5 June at the Institute of Directors, London from 4-7pm.
Want to know what else is on for comms pros?
See my comms calendar for a complete round-up of courses, events and networking opportunities. If you have something to be considered for the list, please use the contact form.
Last weekend I launched What’s on this week, my regular round-up of events for comms pros to attend. Thank you for your feedback, I’m delighted to hear it’s been useful and will be making some slight changes based on your comments.
To make sure you don’t miss future articles, pop your email in the sign up box to receive notifications of new posts.
Thank you as ever for stopping by,
P.s. There are currently 70 comms jobs listed in the jobs section. Take a look if you’re on the hunt for a new role.
First published on All Things IC website 30 April 2015.