Do you listen to podcasts? I regularly receive queries asking for recommendations and I feature them in my monthly email newsletter, The Water Cooler.
So to coincide with the release of my latest podcast interview, I thought I’d share some resources with you.
My daily routine includes listening to at least one podcast, as I need sound while I work. I’m listening to Michelle Obama’s latest podcast as I type this.
You’ll find a list of recommended IC and Comms podcasts in this article.
Do you have any others to add? Feel free to comment.
Having been asked twice in the past week whether I’m planning to launch my own, the answer is no. Never say never, but I had my own All Things IC podcast back in 2013/4 as part of the FIR podcast network.
I stopped it when I was about to have my twin sons, and now enjoy being a guest on shows.
2021 update: I wrote never say never… I’ve just relaunched my own podcast. You can find the Candid Comms podcast on your favourite player including Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotifyand Podbean.
My go-to expert on all things podcasting related is Debbie West and I love listening to her Be a Bigger Fish podcast.
Companies are increasingly using podcasts for internal communication, including LEGO, Tata Steel, Deloitte and many more.
What I listen to
I listen to a lot of podcasts, including comedies. I also love inspirational ones like Holly Tucker’s Conversations of Inspiration and Unlocking Us by Brené Brown. I also listen a whole screen-worth of entrepreneurial and Marketing podcasts like Jay Baer, Amy Porterfield, HBR Women at Work, Chris Ducker, Neal Schaffer, Mark Schaefer, Jess Lorimer and Janet Murray.
But I’ve focused on Comms and PR for you today.
My latest podcast interview
What skills do you need if you’re starting out in internal communication? What role should our leaders be playing during COVID-19 and what does the word pivot make me think of?
These topics formed part of my conversation with PR professional Laura Sutherland as part of her podcast.
The episode has just been released and I’ve shared insights on all these areas and much more. I’ve also revealed the reality of running a business in 2020 and why investing in my mental health has been vital.
If you would like to invite me to be a guest on your show, please see my Press page and get in touch.
Internal Comms and PR podcasts
We are spoilt for choice when it comes to podcasts about Comms and PR.
There are lots of Internal Comms and PR podcasts to choose from and many new ones launching at the moment. I spotted the Institute of Internal Communication is planning to launch one this month.
Here are some for you to explore…
- Another Door – by Eleanor Tweddell
- A place to thrive – by Jo Hooper and Jo Hall
- Be A Bigger Fish – by Debbie West
- Building a Story Brand – by Donald Miller
- CalmEdgedRebels – by Advita Patel, Trudy Lewis and Jenni Field – NEW
- Communications Academy
- Culture, Comms and Cocktails – by Chuck Gose and Social Chorus
- Digital Download – by Paul Sutton
- Don’t Shoot the Messenger – by Vicki Marinker
- Double Booked – by Kristin Hancock and Chuck Gose
- Eat Sleep Work Repeat – by Bruce Daisley
- Engagement Express – by Kate Isichei
- Engaging Internal Comms – by Craig Smith
- FIR podcast network – including Shel Holtz and Neville Hobson
- FutureProof – by Sarah Waddington
- Geekout by Matt Navarra
- IABC Circle of Fellows podcast
- ICology – by Chuck Gose
- The Influencer Marketing Lab – by Scott Guthrie
- Inside PR – by Gini Dietrich, Joseph Thornley and Martin Waxman
- Institute of Internal Communication podcast – coming soon
- Internal Miscommunications – by Erica Goodwin and Keith Riley – NEW
- Internal Comms Talk – by Johnna Lacey
- Media Will Eat Itself – by Shaun Weston
- New Influence – by Ste Davies
- No More Long Talk – by Andrea Mattis
- On Belonging – by Isabel Collins –NEW
- People Buy People – by Laura Sutherland
- PR Hub podcast – by Adam Tuckwell and Jon Wilcox
- Remote Control – by StreamGo
- Social Minds – by Social Chain
- Stories & Strategies
- Talking Comms – by Adrian Stirrup and Darren Caveney
- The CSuite podcast
- The Comms Shift podcast – by Smarp
- The Internal Comms podcast – by Katie Macaulay at AB
- The Internal Comms Podcast – by Mike Klein
- The Internal Comms procast – by Cirkl
- The Leading Story – by Lucy Eckley –NEW
- The Science of Social Media – by Buffer
- The Smart Communications podcast
- Women in PR
- You’re my #CommsHero podcast – by Resource.
Further reading about podcasts
- How to use a podcast for internal communication
- Seven things Deloitte has learnt from starting a corporate podcast.
- The top 16 IC podcasts.
Listen to some of my podcast interviews
Building a business case for investment – Culture, Comms & Cocktails, 30 June 2020.
Come and learn about internal communication with me: mentoring
I’ve just opened my VIP mentoring programme. Regular readers will know I only open the doors a few times a year, so I can work closely with the Internal Comms pros and Consultants who choose to be mentored by me.
See the mentoring pages to discover how I can support you confidentially 1-2-1 via a short term or longer term partnership.
Come and learn about internal communication with me: Online Masterclasses
My Online Masterclasses exist to support you in your work.
There’s a variety of topics to choose from and every course is packed with videos, surveys, text, lessons and quizzes to help you learn at your own pace.
See the dedicated website to find out more.